Thursday, May 26, 2011

Where to begin

In 2000 I moved to Naples for the first time and fell in love with the city from the minute I stepped out of Montesanto metro station.  The streets came to life then as they do now 11 years later.  This blog is to share my passion for Naples, the city with the not-so-good reputation which is not my experience at all.  When I meet travellers who say they have heard a lot of bad things about Naples I ask them did anything happen to them or the person that told them the story and often the reply is, no!  Many 'stories' are passed on and so the myth builds.

It would be unwise to suggest that certain things don't happen in Naples and I am certainly not saying that. But it is also good to remember that bad things can happen anywhere and it would be a shame to miss out on visiting or living in one of the most amazing and lively cities that I have come across or lived in to date.

This blog is to share with those who read it all that I have explored and found in this jumble jewel box of a place over three visits and 11 years.  Without fail, every time I step out into the streets there is always something new to see and discover.  The boredom factor is ZERO.

There are also elements of Naples that are frustrating, infuriating, dirty and somewhat depressing, yet it all adds to the excitement and earthiness.

As a reluctant guide book reader, all that I wish to post on my site is from what I have experienced from an amateur explorers point of view.  It will range from food, islands, churches, graffiti, garbage, Neapolitans, traffic, shopping, begging and travel to surrounding areas as well as other issues such as leg waxing and hairstylists.

If you read this blog and would like to know more about my time here it would be encouraging to me and I will look forward to hearing about your Neapolitan experience.

Arrivederci
hellsbells

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Helga - can't wait to hear more, will be a regular visitor. Is there a way to susbcribe by email so I don't miss any posts? x C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed trains in Naples in 2004 .. never have I seen so many men hanging around looking like they're up to no good .. my family say that if I'd left the underground station I might have a more balanced view of the city .. but it was the same when I changed trains 2 days later returning from Sorrento .. That's Europe for you..

    ReplyDelete